This page contains a record of the theses that have been defended in the school. Thesis defences which are being planned can be found under "News and events".
- Friday 7 December 2012 Samer Al Moubayed succesfully defended his thesis on Bringing the avatar to life - Studies and developments in facial communication for virtual agents and robots, TMH, School of Computer Science and Communication, KTH. Opponent: Stefan Kopp, Sociable Agents Group, CITEC, Bielefeld University.
- Friday 19 October 2012 Yvonne Adesam successfully defended her thesis on The Multilingual Forest -- Investigating High-quality Parallel Corpus Development (pdf), Department of Linguistics, Stockholm University. Opponent: Koenraad De Smedt, Professor, University of Bergen, Norway.
- Friday 27 April 2012 Sumithra Velupillai successfully defended her thesis on Shades of Certainty -- Annotation and Classification of Swedish Medical Records, Department of Computer and Systems Sciences, Stockholm University. Opponent: Sabine Bergler, Associate Professor, University of Concordia, Montreal, Canada.
- Saturday 10 March 2012 Mattias Nilsson successfully defended his thesis on Computational Models of Eye Movements in Reading: A Data-Driven Approach to the Eye-Mind Link at 10.15 in room IX, Universitetshuset, Uppsala University. Opponent: John Hale, Associate Professor of Linguistics at Cornell University, New York
- Wednesday 8 February 2012 Krasimir Angelov successfully defended his thesis, at 10:15 in EDIT building, room EA, Chalmers University of Technology. Title: The Mechanics of the Grammatical Framework Opponent Mark Steedman, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Monday 13 June 2011 Atelach Alemu Argaw successfully defended her thesis at 13, in room C at DSV. Title: Resource Lenient Approaches to Cross Language Information Retrieval using Amharic.
Opponent: Douglas Oard, University of Maryland
- Thursday 26 May 2011 Preben Wik successfully defend his thesis on The Virtual Language Teacher Models and applications for language learning using embodied conversational agents, (pdf) at 09:30 in KTH, Lindstedtsvägen 26, room F3. Opponent: Valerie Hazan, UCL, Speech Hearing and Phonetic Sciences, UK.
- Saturday 29 April 2011 Mikael Gunnarsson successfully defended his thesis on Classification along genre dimensions: exploring a multidisciplinary problem (pdf), at 13.15, Allégatan 1 Borås. You can read more about the defence on University of Borås site
Opponnent was professor Ragnar Nordlie from Oslo univ college. Committee: Jussi Karlgren, SICS, Niels Pharo, Oslo and Borås, and Marianne Lykke, Aalborg university.
- Saturday 29 January 2011 Markus Saers successfully defended his thesis on Translation as Linear Transduction. Models and Algorithms for Efficient Transduction in Statistical Machine Translation (pdf), at 10.15 in Sal IX, Universitetshuset, Uppsala university. Opponent: Kevin Knight, University of Southern California
- Saturday 9 October 2010 Karin Friberg Heppin succesfully defended her thesis on Resolving Power of Search Keys in MedEval, a Swedish Medical Test Collection with User Groups: Doctors and Patients (pdf), at 10 in Lilla Hörsalen, Humanisten, Renströmsgatan 6, University of Gothenburg
Opponent: Professor Stefan Schulz, Freiburg University Medical Center Freiburg, Germany
- Friday 3 September 2010 Anna Hjalmarsson succesfully defend her thesis on Human interaction as a model for spoken dialogue system behaviour (pdf). Opponent: Associate Professor, Dr. David Schlangen, Universität Potsdam, Institut fuer Linguistik
- Thursday 3 june 2010 Kristina Nilsson succesfully defended her thesis on Hybrid Methods for Coreference Resolution in Swedish (pdf) at 13.00 in hörsal B5, Södra huset, Frescati, Stockholm University. Opponent: Professor Christer Johansson, University of Bergen.
- Saturday 22 May 2010 Rebecca Jonson succesfully defended her thesis on Information state based speech recognition (pdf) at 13:15 in room T302, Department of Philosophy, Linguistics and Theory of Science, Olof Wijksgatan 6. University of Gothenburg. Opponent: Professor Michael McTear, Ulster. Articles about the defence: GP, GU, Kvalitetsmagasinet
- Saturday 24th of April 2010 Kenneth Wilhelmsson successfully defended his thesis on Heuristisk analys med Diderichsens satsschema. Tillämpningar för svensk text. (pdf)at 10.00 in room T307, Department of Philosophy, Linguistics and Theory of Science, Olof Wijksgatan 6. University of Gothenburg. Opponent: Professor Barbara Gawronska, Kristiansand
- Friday 11th of December 2009 Harald Hammarström successfully defended his thesis on Unsupervised Learning of Morphology and the Languages of the World (pdf)at 10:15 in room HB1, Hörsalsvägen 8, Chalmers University of Technology (Campus Johanneberg), Gothenburg
Opponent: Professor Richard Sproat, Oregon Health and Science University. (press)
- Monday 6th of April 2009 Magnus Rosell successfully defended his thesis concerning Text Clustering Exploration-Swedish Text Representation and Clustering Results Unraveled (pdf)at 13:15 in room F3, Lindstedtsvägen 26, KTH . Professor Tapio Salakoski, Dept of Information technology, University of Turku, Finland was opponent.
- Friday 20th of Februari 2009 Anders Green successfully defended his thesis "Designing and Evaluating Human-Robot Communication: Informing Design through Analysis of User Interaction"(pdf)at 13.00 in Room D2, Lindstedtsvägen 5, KTH. Opponent was Dr. Candice Sidner, BAE Systems, Advanced Information Technologies, USA
- Friday 6th of Februari 2009 Hans Hjelm successfully defended his thesis on "Cross-language Ontology Learning. Incorporating and Exploiting Cross-language Data in the Ontology Learning Process" at 13:00 in Nordenskiöldsalen, Geovetenskapens hus, Svante Arrhenius väg 8 C, Stockholm. Opponent was Philipp Cimiano, Technical University of Delft. Thesis
- Friday 9th of January 2009 Svetoslav Marinov successfully defended his thesis on "Dependency-Based Syntactic Analysis of Bulgarian" at 10.00 in T 307, Arkeologen, Olof Wijksgatan 6, University of Gothenburg. Opponent was Adam Przepiorkowski, Institute of Computer Science, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warszawa Poland. Thesis
- Friday 19th of December 2008 Fredrik Olsson successfully defended his thesis on "Bootstrapping Named Entity Annotation by means of Active Machine Learning" at 1.15 pm in Lilla Hörsalen, Humanisten, University of Gothenburg. Opponent was Miles Osborne, School of Informatics, The University of Edinburgh, Scotland, UK. Thesis
- Friday 5th of December 2008 Richard Johansson successfully defend his thesis on "Dependency-based Semantic Analysis of Natural-language Text" kl 13.00 in room 1406, E-building, Lunds tekniska högskola.Opponent was Dekang Lin, Department of Computing Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Thesis
- Saturday 31st of May 2008, Lilja Øvrelid successfully defended her thesis concerning"Argument Differentiation: Soft constraints and data-driven models" (pdf) Opponent was Paola Merlo, Department of Linguistics, University of Geneva, Switzerland.
- Saturday 12th of April 2008, Fredrik Kronlid successfully defended his thesis concerning"Steps towards Multi-Party Dialogue Management" (pdf) Opponent was David Schlangen, Universtät Potsdam
- Friday 23:e of November 2007, Gabriel Skantze successfully defended his thesis concerning "Error Handling in Spoken Dialogue Systems - Managing Uncertainty, Grounding and Miscommunication"(pdf) Opponent: Dr. Alexander Rudnicky, Carnegie Mellon Univ., Pittsburgh, USA
- Tuesday 25th of September 2007, Markus Forsberg successfully defended his thesis concerning Three Tools for Language Processing: BNF Converter, Functional Morphology, and Extract.(pdf) Gérard Huet from INRIA Rocquencourt was opponent.
- Friday 7th of September 2007, Pontus Wärnestål successfully defended his thesis concerning Dialogue Behavior Management in Conversational Recommender Systems. Prof. Robert Dale Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia was opponent. For more information please visit Linköping University Electronic Press Picture of Pontus, opponent prof. Robert Dale and supervisor prof. Arne Jönsson (jpg)
- Tuesday 15th of May 2007, Loredana Cerrato successfully defended her thesis concerning Investigating feedback phenomena across languages and modalities Marianne Gullberg, Max-Planck-Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen
Netherlands was opponent (pdf)
- Saturday 16 December 2006, Gustav Öquist successfully defended his thesis concerning Readability on small screens (pdf) View publication (html) Doc. Jukka Hyönä, Åbo University was opponent
- Monday 11 December 2006, Per-Anders Jande successfully defended his thesis concerning Modelling Phone-Level Pronunciation in Discourse Context (pdf) Abstract (pdf). Prof Merle Horne, Dept. of Linguistics, Lund University was opponent
- Saturday 2 December 2006, Susanne Schötz successfully defended her PhD thesis on Perception, Analysis and Synthesis of Speaker Age (pdf) Abstract (pdf). Dr Bernd Moebius from Institut fuer maschinelle Sprachverarbeitung, Stuttgart University was opponent
- Wednesday 29 November 2006, Leif Grönqvist successfully defended his PhD thesis on Exploring Latent Semantic Vector Models Enriched With N-grams(pdf) Opponent was Professor Helena Ahonen-Myka, Department of Computer Science, University of Helsinki. Some pictures
- Friday 24 November 2006, Genevieve Gorrell successfully defended her PhD thesis on Generalized Hebbian Algorithm for Dimensionality Reduction in Natural Language Processing.(pdf) Abstract (pdf) Dr. Alexander Rudnicky, School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University was opponent.
- Friday 2 June 2006 Magnus Sahlgren successfully defended his PhD thesis on The Word-Space Model:using distributional analysis to represent syntagmatic and paradigmatic relations between words in high-dimensional vector spaces (pdf) Abstract (pdf). Opponent was Fabrizio Sebastiani from the University of Padua
- Saturday 17 September 2005 Stina Ericsson, Department of Linguistics, Göteborg University, successfully defended her PhD thesis Information Enriched Constituents in Dialogue (pdf). Opponent was Professor Enric Vallduví, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona.
- Tuesday 10 May 2005 Sofia Gustafson-Capková, Department of Linguistics, Stockholm University, successfully defended her PhD thesis Integrating Prosody into an Account of Discourse Structure (pdf). Opponent was Merle Horne, Department of Linguistics, Lund University.